What Sugar Cravings Are Trying To Tell You
I have always blamed my sugar cravings on my sweet tooth and my habits. Well at least in the past. But in many cases, sugar cravings is often a sign where the body is trying to tell about your health: “Your diet is lacking some key nutrients”. “Feed me these nutrients and stop feeding me junk”.
So as a follow up to our last Blog on “Science Behind Sugar Cravings”, this time we go deeper on what the sugar cravings might be telling about your health.
Sugar Cravings and Our Health
When you crave anything sweet, your body might actually be telling you something about your diet, health or lifestyle. E.g.
- Lacking Key Nutrients: You’re lacking key nutrients in your diet i.e you’re not eating enough protein, healthy fats or complex carbs (rich in fibre). And that you are eating too much junk filled with refined carbs. Because protein and fats slow the release of sugar into your bloodstream, when you don’t consume enough of them your blood sugar can rise and fall at an abnormal rate. The result? Your body craves quick energy from sugar.
- Poor Sleep: Poor sleep can also trigger excess eating, including increased sugar consumption, as you seek energy to combat your fatigue. Research has shown that even one night of poor sleep can decrease the upper brain function of the cerebrum – the part of the brain responsible for complex judgments and decisions – resulting in next-day junk food cravings.
- Mineral Deficiency: An iron deficiency will zap your energy, leaving you feeling fatigued and weak, and it can also be a reason for your cravings because your body will crave quick energy to perk itself up. For many people, a sugar craving in the form of chocolate could signal a lack of magnesium, a common deficiency according to National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
- Dehydration: A lack of fluids can make it difficult for organs like liver to release glycogen (stored glucose) and other components of your energy stores, hence, it can actually trigger sugar cravings. When you aren’t properly hydrated, you can erroneously be craving sugar when you might just be thirsty.
- Potential Insulin Problem: In more severe cases, you might even have an insulin sensitivity issue. As more dietary sugar is consumed, insulin becomes less effective. Even skinny people can become addicted and have insulin problem. Continuing on the path of over consuming these foods will set you up for many diseases including diabetes and heart disease. So best to consult your doctor.
Sugar cravings are key signals your body is trying to give you. Signals about your health and diet. So next time you reach for a dessert after breakfast or a cookie during afternoon slump, stop to consider your diet in the last few meals.
Look out for our next Blog where we will cover some of the tips you can incorporate for long-term behaviour change to minimize cravings! Stay tuned.
About Yoga Superfuel
At Yoga Superfuel we are obsessed in keeping sugar levels low and nutrition profile high! That’s why our cookies are packed with superfoods that are nutritious and slow digesting! With absolutely zero refined nasties.
Shagun, Yoga Superfuel
Yoga Superfuel – Vegan, Gluten Free Cookies that are Slow Digesting.