Despite its recent surge in popularity, fasting is a practice that dates back centuries and plays a central role in many cultures and religions. Like the holy month of Ramadan being observed right now.
As a practise I do some form of fasting on a weekly basis. It can be anything – from just skipping 1 meal to an all-out 24 hour water / tea fast. Depending on how my body is feeling. It gives my digestion a break – from the non-stop work it has to do 24-7!
Here are 5 science backed benefits of fasting (Source: Healthline):
- Blood Sugar Control: By reducing insulin resistance and prevention of sugar spikes / crashes.
- Detoxification: By cleansing the digestive system.
- Inflammation Reduction: By enhancing the body’s resistance to oxidative stress.
- Fat Burn: By using stored fat for energy in absence of glucose supply.
- Better Heart Health: By lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Do it progressively…
When I started fasting, I used to get headaches as my body was not used to staying without carbs. Hence it is important to do it progressively. Over time the body get’s accustomed to using the stored fat to fuel the body!
Shagun, Yoga Superfuel
Get Ramadan Ready with Yoga Superfuel Cookies – Packed with Healthy Fats + Preservative Free
Our Superfood Cookies are loaded with healthy fats from seeds and nuts! And free from all toxic additives, colourings and preservatives. A yummy and healthy way to help you focus better!