Ever wondered why one kind of food is easily digested by some but hard for others to digest? Ayurveda, a 5000 year old science, talks about the different body types that we all are born with and which decides our unique digestive capacity also know as “Agni” in Sanskrit. A well balanced Agni is the cause of good health and long life. And imbalance of Agni is responsible for various health conditions.
It’s the kind of food we choose, which decides the fate of our digestion or Agni. Find out more in our latest blog by Dr Dharna, from our partner Ayurvedic Centre beAyur in Singapore.
Vata (Body type made up of Air + Ether)
- Thin build people with good digestion and great metabolism
- Advised to eat food rich in healthy fats
- Foods rich in good fats (ghee, avocado, coconut), organic milk, dry fruits
- This will ensure their digestive fire is satisfied for a longer duration and prevents overeating
- Fasting once a month is advisable
- My body type YSF cookies: Cocoa Coconut & Fig Amaranth
Pitta (Body type made up of Fire + Water)
- Medium build people with high digestive fire and a balanced metabolism
- Advised to eat foods that are calming or cooling in nature
- Foods like cruciferous vegetables, grains (amaranth), organic milk, nuts
- This will ensure regulated digestive fire and prevent digestive conditions like acidity.
- Fasting once in two weeks is advisable
- My body type YSF cookies: Fig Amaranth & Almond Buckwheat
Kapha (Body type made up of Earth + Water)
- Heavy build people whose digestive fire is lower compared to Vata and Pitta
- Advised to eat foods that are lighter in nature (not quantity) and easy to digest
- Foods like millets, grains (buckwheat), fruits, green vegetables, buttermilk, legumes, nuts & dry fruits
- This will ensure their metabolism is good and does not lead to metabolic disorders
- Fasting once a week is advisable
- My body type YSF cookies: Ginger Granola & Almond Buckwheat
Contributed by our Ayurvedic Partner:
Dr Dharna, Ayurvedic Consultant
Visit their Ayurveda Centre beAyur: https://www.beayur.com/ for a personal consultation.